La Louve

La Louve
La Louve...Garden of the She-Wolf, Bonnieux, France. La Louve is a private French contemporary garden, open to the public, in the town of Bonnieux in the Vaucluse Department of France. It was created beginning in 1986 by Nicole de Vésian, textile designer for the Paris fashion house of Hermès. It is classified by the French Ministry of Culture as one of the Notable Gardens of France.

8/21/10

Getting ready for Fall

Well, the slipcovers are coming off the sofa next week, exposing the original, warm gold color once more. I've taken the antique French white linen tablecloth off the round table and replaced it with a silk stripe in sage-green, cream and coffee (my favorite trio of colors) and it looks richer, more interesting, somehow.

The pots of white orchids on the table have been replaced with a green vase filled with grasses from a field beyond the house, and I've moved the ethnic art back from their summer vacation in my husband's office. I think they're glad to be in the thick of things again.

I know, I know...too early for bringing out fall-inspired design, but the September issue of "House Beautiful" in the mail the other day prompted me to make a head-start. BTW, check out their feature about the contemporary house filled with...green!

A corner of our small living room with black and white prints above an early 19th century Chinese table of rosewood and ebony. The Chinese table/bench holds two of my Vicente Wolfe books, which I always enjoy looking through time and time again. Mask on the stand is Mossi from Africa, the seated figure is Oceanic from the Sepik River region (both purchased from Tribal Links http://www.triballinks.com/) several years ago, and the 18th century bronze bowl is Chinese. 

The wingback armchair is from Ethan Allen covered in a French linen, the lamp was purchased years ago from Crate and Barrel, the white bowls are Song from China, and the wood figure is Songye from Africa. The pillow was made from yardage I had been hoarding from a previous house.

People who know I deal mostly in French and English furnishings are always surprised to see so much Chinese furniture, ethnic items and contemporary art in my home. But, that's one of the joys (and, occasionally perils!) of being in the trade: one has the opportunity to see so many beautiful things from around the world. How can one choose between a beautiful 19th century French walnut table from Provence and an early 19th century Chinese rosewood table from China? Well...if  possible, have both!


19th century French walnut side table from Provence, English shield-back chair painted green with gilded highlights, vintage pier mirror, and 19th century English country child's chair.

Five years ago, my husband retired, and we downsized to a cottage which forced us to be very selective about what we chose to part with and what we chose to bring with us. I've recommended to friends who complain about clutter that they pretend they're about to retire. It really forces one to think about things that have come into our homes and just kind of overstayed their welcome - and things that we brought in because we loved them. Being an antiques dealer, it's always hard to leave something beautiful behind. But, I remind myself that somewhere there's someone else who will love it enough to buy it and keep it forever.

I would love to hear some of your stories. What do you have that, if possible, you would take with you if you were stranded on a Pacific island?

And I really need to hold my camera straight! Sorry about the tilted photos. Skipped Picasa's editing features...

2 comments:

My Notting Hill said...

I love the pics of your home. Beautiful. To answer your question, assuming all family photos and letters were safe I'd take my little silver and lucite teapot. I fawn all over it in this blog post:

http://mynottinghill.blogspot.com/2009/12/one-that-got-away-one-that-didnt.html

I'm just realizing you're an antiques dealer & you go to Scotts! I've never been and hope to go sometime.

April said...

My Notting Hill, thank you for reading and commenting on my recent post. I'm so new, that I'm thrilled whenever anyone visits!

You bring the tea pot, and I'll bring the tea - English, of course!

Please visit me at Scott's if you have the opportunity!

Cheers, April